Western Albemarle’s girls tennis got most of the wins they needed in the singles segment of Tuesday’s Region 3A West semifinals, but when you’re staring down the defending state champions, you don’t need most of the wins, you need every single one.
“The girls gave it their best shot, and that’s all we ask for as coaches,” said Western coach Ellen Markowitz. “We put ourselves in position to have an opportunity, and that’s what we try to do every year. Hats off to Cave Spring, they are a strong team once again, up and down the lineup.”
The Warriors pushed Cave Spring to the brink, with Anna O’Shea forcing the match into doubles with a hard-fought 4-6, 7-5, 7-5 victory at No. 4 singles. Giulia Schiaretti snagged the other singles victory for the Warriors with a 7-5, 6-1 win at No. 5.
But that left the Warriors facing the necessity of sweeping the doubles matches. Schiaretti and Claudia Giortz-Joergensen got things started the right way with a 6-3, 6-2 win at No. 3 doubles, but Cave Spring’s Caitlin Carter and Maha Ali combined to snag a 6-1, 6-1 victory and seal the match for the Knights.
“They played hard, and we fought our best, but just couldn’t get it done,” Markowitz said.
The loss ends senior Rosy Ix’s career as well as the Warriors’ unbeaten run through the regular season and Conference 29 tournament.
O’Shea and Kearns will play next week in the regional doubles tournament while Kearns will also play in the singles tourney.
Cave Spring 5, Western Albemarle 3
1. Reagan Delp (CSHS) def. Hannah Kearns (WAHS), 6-1, 6-2
2. Caitlin Carter (CSHS) def. Rosy Ix (WAHS), 6-0, 6-0
3. Grace Holderman (CSHS) def. Louise West (WAHS), 6-4, 6-4
4. Anna O’Shea (WAHS) def. Maha Ali (CSHS), 4-6, 7-5, 7-5
5. Giulia Schiaretti (WAHS) def. Grace Page (CSHS), 7-5, 6-1
6. Eefke van den Heuvel (CSHS) def. Sarah Inman (WAHS), 6-0, 6-4
1. Delp/Holderman (CSHS) leading Kearns/O’Shea (WAHS), 6-4, 0-3 DNF
2. Carter/Ali (CSHS) def. Ix/West (WAHS), 6-1, 6-1
3. Schiaretti/Claudia Giortz-Joergensen (WAHS) def. van den Heuvel/Allison Henion (CSHS), 6-3, 6-2