STAB girls soccer blanked by St. Catherine’s

St. Anne’s-Belfield rallied and improved their play significantly in the second half, but the damage was already done. 


After surrendering four goals in the first half, the Saints gave up two more goals in the second half en route to a 6-0 defeat at the hands of St. Catherine’s on Tuesday afternoon. 


St. Catherine’s utilized a balanced offense to record six goals from six different scorers. 


“It shows how deep our team is, how deep our offense is,” said St. Catherine’s head coach Lauren Marshalek. “It’s also good for our confidence.” 


St. Catherine’s got on the board just seven minutes into the game. Sophia Connell’s shot was saved by goalie Hannah Miller, but Peyton Hudson was there to send the ball into the left corner of the net for the game’s first goal. 


Just three minutes later, St. Catherine’s struck again with a goal by Lia Wanick on a left-footed strike into the back of the net. 


“One of our goals for the season is to set the tone for the game in the first 15 minutes of the first half,” said Marshalek. “And that’s what the girls did here today.” 


Sophia Connell scored with fifteen minutes left in the first half to make it 3-0 and then Emma Galbraith tallied a goal with less than two minutes remaining in the half to extend the St. Catherine’s lead to four. 


In the first half, St. Anne’s-Belfield struggled to move the ball down the field when they had possession, as St. Catherine’s intercepted their passes at midfield almost every time. 


In the second half, St. Anne’s-Belfield was able to generate some offensive opportunities, though none turned into goals, and played better on the defensive end as well. 


“I think we adapted,” said St. Anne’s-Belfield coach Maddie Corwin. “We did a good job picking up on the things we didn’t do in the first half. We held our ground. We came together as a team and that’s what counts.” 


Despite the substantial improvements on both sides of the ball, the Saints gave up two more goals to St. Catherine’s in the second half, and suffered their second loss of the year, 6-0. 


Up next, St. Anne’s-Belfield travels to play Trinity Episcopal on Friday afternoon.